The most up-to-date Government advice is available by clicking the following link
Paying your employees
Paying Sick Pay
- Check if you can claim back Statutory Sick Pay paid to employees due to COVID-19
- Pay VAT deferred due to COVID-19
- Making Self Assessment payments including Class 2 National Insurance contributions
- If you cannot pay your tax bill on time
Support for the Self-Employed
- Self-Employment Income Support Scheme – fourth grant
Support for businesses affected by COVID-19 restrictions
- Check if you’re eligible for a COVID-19 Restart Grant
Information from North Somerset Council:
To support the recovery of the high street as Government trading restrictions are relaxed during 2021, the Chancellor announced in the budget one-off ‘Restart Grant’ payment to business.
This grant will replace the local restrictions support grant (outlines below) from April 2021 onwards.
North Somerset Council are awaiting further details of the grant but are working on the basis that it will be made available to qualifying High Street, Hospitality and Leisure businesses from w/c 12th April 2021:
The awards are understood to be as follows:
- Non-essential retail businesses with a rateable value of £15,000 or less,will receive a one-off grant of £2,667
- Non-essential retail businesses with a rateable value over £15,000 and less than £51,000, will receive a one-off grant of £4,000.
- Non-essential retail businesses with a rateable value of £51,000 or above, will receive a one-off grant of £6,000.
- Qualifying Hospitality and Leisure properties with a rateable value of £15,000or less, will receive a one-off grant of £8,000.
- Qualifying Hospitality and Leisure properties with a rateable value over £15,000 and less than £51,000, will receive a one-off grant of £12,000.
- Qualifying Hospitality and Leisure properties with a rateable value of £51,000 or above, will receive a one-off grant of £18,000.
North Somerset Council will continue to offer discretionary awards to non-rated businesses.
The funding is limited for this scheme and North Somerset Council are currently designing a scheme that will offer fair support to local businesses.
- Check if your business is eligible for a COVID-19 grant due to national lockdowns (for closed businesses)
Information from North Somerset Council :
From early November 2020 North Somerset has experienced differing levels of COVID-19 restrictions on business and other activities. This has resulted in varying levels of grant support being available for specific businesses that are broken down to the following periods:
- National – (5 November 2020 – 2 December 2020)
- Local – Tier 3 (3 December 2020 – 18 December 2020)
- Local – Tier 2 (19 December 2020 – 25 December 2020)
- Local – Tier 3 (26 December 2020 – 5 January 2021)
- National – Tier 5 (6 January 2021 – 2 February 2021)
For details on support since start of February and to understand if you are eligible businesses should contact the council’s business grants team on 01934 888 114 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Check if you’re eligible for the COVID-19 Additional Restrictions Grant
Information from North Somerset Council:
The Additional Restrictions Grant (ARG) is a further relief fund offered by North Somerset Council. It is available for businesses that are either:
- ineligible for the Local Restrictions Support Grant (closed), or
- have suffered hardship due to the COVID-19 restrictions that began on 5 November
To be eligible to claim ARG your business must have been open as usual on the day before restrictions came into force and have no more than 49 employees.
If you meet these initial requirements, one or more of the following will also need to apply:
- you do not pay business rates on the business you trade from or occupy – this includes businesses registered for Council Tax – this applies only to the business that you are being forced to close
- your business was not required to close, but had to due to a significant impact on trading
- your business is still operating, but with a significant reduction in demand due to social distancing rules
What you will get
The amount of the grant is up to the discretion of the council. It will primarily be based on the number of employees:
- Businesses with 10 or less employees will get up to £500.
- Businesses with between 11 and 49 employees will get up to £750.
Please note payments are calculated on each two-week period of restriction. If, at the end of this term, the government decides to extend the restriction, you will be paid for each additional two week period, up until the tier is changed.
How to apply
For details and to understand if you are eligible businesses should contact the council’s business grants team on 01934 888 114 or email email@example.com.
If you have more than one business property, you will need to complete a separate application for each of them. You will be required to answer a number of questions to verify your business is eligible, including upload online of a recent bank statement.
Hospitality Sector Scheme
North Somerset Council is providing additional funding available to pubs, restaurants and cafes which have all suffered curtailed trading opportunities in the festive period due to the coronavirus restrictions.
In addition to the £1,000 Christmas Support Payments announced by government to support ‘wet-led’ pubs, North Somerset Council are providing specific financial support to 300 publicly accessible pubs, restaurants and cafes across the area for December, January and February.
What will you get
Pubs and restaurants will be able to claim £3,000 in total at £1,000 each month for December, January and February.
Cafés will be able to claim between £1,500 – £3,000 depending on size with payments split for the three months of December, January and February.
This is not linked to Covid Tier restrictions and is available for businesses that are liable for business rates. The funding will be made in addition to support received through Local Restrictions Support Grant and Additional Restriction Grant.
How to Apply
For details and to understand if you are eligible businesses should contact the council’s business grants team on 01934 888 114 or email firstname.lastname@example.org